Well my optimism regarding the employment lawyer I hired is almost history! I received her first invoice and it was a lot more than I expected! And so far, no progress. Did I also mention she forgot to tell me she was gone on vacation for 3 weeks! I don’t have an issue with her vacation but she could have told me ahead of time. My company finally responded and my lawyer was away:( So no update again. Otherwise, September was a good month overall. Check out the details in my September 2018 – Income, Expenses And Goals update below:
- Participated in the Terry Fox run with my son
- Played “hookie” and spent a day in Perth (Ontario) in the middle of the week. It was fun:)
- I received my first (of many I am sure) invoice from my lawyer.
- Accumulated almost $10,000 in dividend income to date!
- Passed the real estate salesperson course I registered for last month. I thought it would be a great fit for me but, after learning a lot more about what the job entails, I don’t know if it is after all. I am debating whether to take the next class or not.
- Renewed my blog for another year:)
FI CASH INCOME – $2,002
Monthly FI (Financial Independence) income:
Dividend & Interest Income: $1,200
32% increase over last September! I would be a lot more if Corus Ent. didn’t change their dividend payout and schedule!
Dividend income to date is 113% more than last year. My focus on dividend stock is really paying off.
Rental Income: $1,774
Rental income from my three rental units, all condos. You can read more info on my units here.
- # 1 Condo – Nothing to report
- # 2 Condo – Almost a perfect month! But on the last Thursday of September, I received a text from my tenant. The light and outlet in the upstairs bathroom weren’t working. I got lucky on that one, my partner (who never wants to have anything to do with my rentals in general) was in a helping mood so we went to check it out. The outlet and switch had to be replaced. We bought both and got it fixed by the week-end. My step son-in-law (that’s a mouth full) also came along to help out. I saved a few $ on that one:) Too bad they are not always available (or willing).
- # 3 Condo – No complaints this month from the neighbours.
I estimate the time spent on rentals this month to be around 2 hour overall (texts and trips to fix the electrical).
My rate this month: $887/hour!
Related post: To Be A Landlord Or Not To Be?
Side Hustle/Other Income:
- No referrals from Tangerine this month.
- So far, the mystery shopping opportunities haven’t been good in my area, not worth the time. Most jobs pay between $10 and $20!
- I am considering giving Rover a try.
EXPENSES – $6,899!
See where it all started and why I keep track of my expenses at Monthly Money Reports
Tip: Update your spreadsheets regularly.
You can refer to the December post for details on expenses not covered in a specific monthly report.
Related Page: Monthly Money Reports
Variations This Month:
- Track & Field 1st payment for the season was $820! (I love my kid, I love my kid!)
- Paid for books and a few back to school supplies for my son and one of my daughters.
- Bought my oldest daughter $40 in gift cards at the Gluten Free Food place, so she can have nice lunches once in a while.
- My son needed new shoes and a few shirts.
Wow, I have been spending a lot more here! In September, I always feel a little down so I need my specialty coffees more often.
- My coffee shop breaks cost me $78 this month!!! All worth it, just can’t keep doing it. I usually go with one of my daughters or my partner so the cost is not just for me.
- I went to a farewell lunch for another one of our co-workers.
- Went out for brunch twice.
- Bought Asian take-out one night
- Paid for dinner at the airport when my niece left. It was expensive and not good but we couldn’t find anything else close by. Montreal airport needs better options!
- The big expense is my lawyer’s first invoice: $2,793! And since then I got a second one (October budget). I am getting a little discouraged, I am not further ahead than I was! She hardly did any work on my file and it’s already costing me that much!
- In Perth, which by the way is such a cute little town, I contributed to the local economy by purchasing fudge and chocolates
- Spent $118 for another year of Money Scrap. I thought I had paid for two years last year but I guess it was only for some of the services.
- Gave $50 to my niece for her birthday coming up.
Summary – FI ratio is 40% YTD including all expenses. And without discretionary & kids; I am at 79% FI ratio.
(Discretionary & kids being: kids’cell, donations, kids’ portion of car insurance, bus pass, kids’ expenses, restaurant, travel, learning, legal fees)
- Reduce Grocery bill by 30% or $200/week. I got too comfortable in September and once I added up all of our receipts, we were back to $280/week! While in August, we only spent $170/week ! I need to get back to entering my receipts every week. More to come on our grocery spending. In the meantime, you can check all previous reports here.
- Increase my dividend to $12,000. On target with $9,975 to date in dividend (or 83% of my goal), even with the change in Corus dividend payment.
- Celebrated my one year in early September. I may make hitting 2 years my new goal.
- Increased traffic by 25% but my numbers are very low. I gave it an orange because it’s the first time I meet this goal in over 6 months. I may give Pinterest another try but it sounds like you need to be at it consistently (as per Tom over at Dividends Diversify). It is working out really well for him. My problem is that I can’t even stick to a blog schedule so not sure about a “pinning” commitment!
- Twitter followers are increasing slowly but steadily. I surpassed my goal already!
Related post: Best Blogging Tips From The Blogosphere
- Back to eating sweets but a lot less than pre-August. I keep track of my food intake in the Fitbit app now, so it motivates me to stop eating when I reach my max., most of the time. I am applying the same method as I do for budgeting! Keep track of it!
- My average daily steps were 13,670 in September! A 20% increase over last month:) I am not sure I will keep it up with the cooler weather.
- Still working on our next trip for November but not making much progress.
- I didn’t hear back from the local hospital yet about my volunteer application. I probably should apply to a few other places just in case.
That’s it for September. How was yours? How many steps do you walk per day? Have you ever tried the Fitbit app to keep track of your food intake (or any other apps)? Did it help?
A special thank you to the following blogs/bloggers for featuring one of Money Scrap’s posts:
- Genymoney – PF Blog Round up
- Millionaire Doc – M.D. Roundup
- Women Who Money
- The Money Mix for including me in The Money Jukebox
- Kaylynn in her Weekly Tales: Fall TV Edition
In September I published the following posts (Did you miss any?)
- Another Blogging Break? Again!
- Money Scrap Turns ONE!
- August 2018 Income, Expenses And Goals
- Landlord’s Nightmare? Tenants From Hell!
- Would You Pay To Have Your Dead Body Frozen? Cryonics Anyone?
Pin me please.