Another blogging break? Again! It has been almost a month since my last post and NO I haven’t given up on blogging…sorry:) So why have I not been posting anything? How can I not keep up with a weekly post you ask?
First I Want To Share Big News:
My oldest daughter got engaged!
He proposed while they were on Big Island (Hawaii) two weeks ago (Yes right when the hurricane happened! No, no stress here:))
I Didn’t Feel Like Blogging
I know I know, no big deal, nobody is making me do anything. Unfortunately, when you start a blog, there are some expectations or requirements if you want to attract readers, or keep the ones you have.
You are expected to establish a set schedule and stick to it. You also have to be active on social media, promote your blog, other people’s blogs, comment, blah blah blah.
Well sometimes, it gets overwhelming! And some days I really don’t feel like doing any of it. Blogging is supposed to be fun (for me that is, obviously much different for full-time bloggers or bloggers actively trying to make blog income). Having a schedule is ok but not if I feel stressed out every time a post is not ready ON TIME…then it starts to feel like work! And right now I already have a job, thank you very much.
So the breaks are helpful. It allows me to take a step back and look at it from a different perspective. It helps bring blogging back to being a fun hobby. When you blog, you can get so caught up in getting more views, more subscribers, followers…and for some of us, it’s not very healthy (for our mind)!
Please don’t think I don’t value the few of you who actually read my posts by not wanting to stick to a schedule. I mean no disrespect and hope you signed up (or will) to get my updates so you know when I do publish a new post. I will focus on quality vs quantity.
And to some of my BBBs (Best Blogging Buddies), I am so grateful for your support since I started this blog and hope you don’t feel I am letting you down by taking my many breaks.
Just to name a few of my BBBs and in no particular order: Lily ( Thefrugalgene.com), Genymoney.ca, Tom (Dividendsdiversify.com), Helen (Retireearlyhelen.com), Graham (Reversethecrush.com), Angela (Treadlightlyretireearly.com) Kris (Chroniclesofafatherwithcents.com) and the support of many many more including Amy (Lifezemplified.com). THANK YOU.
Needed To Get Some Of My Time Back!
Blogging is very time-consuming and does take time away from other valuable activities, including sleep! I know for some bloggers, it takes them no time to write a post, but for me, it does! So what did I do with my time?
Spent More Time with Friends And Family
- My niece was visiting from France for 2 months and spent a few week-ends with us so we took her around town. We went to two pretty cool events I had never been too; Mosaiculture 2018 (45 majestic floral masterpieces celebrating nature in all its splendor, designed with more than 5.5 million plants) and The Sound and Light Show on Parliament.
- Spent more time with my middle child and “chilled” together at neat little coffee shops around town while my two other kids were away.
- Made more time for my partner and I! I know most other PF bloggers seem to have perfect relationships but, in my house, it takes a little extra work:) Blended family!!!
- Went for more walks with my best friend and took the time to go out for dinner a few times with others.
Focused More On Health
- Increased my exercise level! With all the stuff going on at work, my stress level has been a little higher than usual, so I increased the length of my daily walks to help me unwind.
- Started a lower carb, low sugar diet (not a keto diet but some similarities) to help me feel better and used my Fitbit to keep track of my food intake at first. It does take a little time to get used to it but I am already feeling healthier!
Took The First Real Steps To Deal With My Termination
- Found and hired a fairly high level lawyer. Worked with her on the response to my termination offer. The lawyer I had seen before, at the beginning of the year, seemed a little too soft. This one is the real deal and unfortunately costs $645/hr! It is a lot of money but I have a lot at stake so I feel it is money well spent. It has been going on long enough and without legal representation they won’t necessarily take me seriously or respond in a timely manner. I want them to know I mean business now! We sent my counter offer two weeks ago and expect their response back this week. No worries, there will be a full post on this!
- Registered for a Real Estate Salesperson course! As you know, I am a little of a MLS addict (real estate listings), I check it almost every morning. I thought it would be good to find out a little more about what the job entails and see if it could be a potential future career for me. I want to keep all my options open.
- Finally registered to volunteer at the local hospital. I had to fill in an application on-line, including preferred time and volunteer activities. Hoping I will hear back from them soon, I am looking forward to it. Maybe I can finally have an update on “volunteering” in my monthly report!
- Spent more time looking for and trying new recipes, our menu was getting a little boring.
- Read a couple of books from some of my favorite french authors, Guillaume Musso & Marc Levy. Nothing to do with finance or financial independence. It can’t always be about money!
Very soon, I will hit my one year blogging anniversary. It has been fun and interesting and I look forward to more of it. What I realized over the last few months is that a blogging schedule is not my thing and I don’t enjoy being on social media 24//7, I hope you will forgive me.
But I am committed to my blog and to you. I may not always keep a schedule and will take many breaks from social media (for my mental health:) but I will keep at it. Hoping to keep my blog interesting enough for you to want to come back.
Until my next post…
Please pin me:)