Monday Thru Friday NO SPEND Challenge Is On! Let’s have some fun.
Two weeks ago, after adding up my expenses for September, I was shocked surprised to see I spent almost $80 in coffee! It wasn’t just for me and it wasn’t only coffee, but still $80 at a coffee shop! I also had quite a few extra expenses for snacks, chocolates. It all added up! So I decided to cut back a bit in October and start a NO SPEND challenge from Monday thru Friday.
Additional Benefits Of A No SPEND Challenge
- Less expenses means less receipts to enter and keep track of! I get lazy as I get older.
- If you consume too much of a good thing, you don’t appreciate it as much.
Why Monday Thru Friday?
Well because you have to start somewhere and it may not be as hard during the week. And it’s only five days!
Remember slow and steady wins the race:)
Plus I feel I get more value out of my spending on the week-end. For example, if I go for an expensive* coffee during the week, it is often on my way to work or if I take a brief break. On the week-end, it is more relax, I usually go with one of my daughters (my son doesn’t like hanging out in coffee shops!), my partner or a friend. We sit down and catch up while enjoying a cup of overpriced coffee. So I get a lot more value by spending money on a coffee on the week-end than during the week (in general). And it’s the same for a lot of other small expenses.
* I never buy regular coffee at a coffee shop, I don’t see the point of it, mine is just as good at home. On the other hand I love a good latte or cappuccino and can’t replicate at home (I have tried!)
Last week I unofficially started my challenge (it’s like prepping for a competition) and almost made it until:
- Thursday when there was a bake sale in my building. It was for the benefit of a local charity so I fell I had to contribute by buying a few baked goods! (Twist my arm)
- And then on Friday I broke down and bought myself a cappuccino at $4.75! I still enjoyed it, even with the guilt.
I was so close, I know I can do it. So I am trying this week again!
I bought everything I needed on the week-end including more backup food for lunches, snacks and anything else I could think of (but no gift cards!).
Too bad I can’t order a few cappuccinos ahead of time!
Related post: Did You Forget Your Lunch Again?
So far so good, as long as I make it until tonight. I forgot my purse yesterday which was good because I was in a spending mood!
Will accountability help?
Who Is This Challenge More Suited For?
- Buy coffee or specialty coffees or any type of drinks during the week
- Have a sweet tooth or craving for all type of snacks
- Don’t bring their lunch to work.
- Make regular stops at the grocery store during the week.
- Shop at lunch time!
- Spend money during the week:)
Monday Thru Friday NO SPEND Challenge Rule:
Only one: NO SPEND!
- Gas – So I can get to work.
- Emergencies –Very subjective but coffee isn’t one of them
- Planned social event – I am not cheap, only frugal!
Why A Challenge:
It’s more motivating when you set a goal and a few rules, even if it’s just for yourself. My grocery challenge worked out great but I totally dropped the ball in September when I stopped tracking regularly and probably got a little cocky. (Post still to come!)
Related post: ** Mission Accomplished ** June 2018 Grocery Budget
This small challenge is the same. I am hoping it’s going to help me achieve my goal :
Reduce my NVA (No Value Added) expenses.
Can I go 5 days a week without spending any money? It sounds so easy.
Over To You
Do you create small challenges for yourself ? What are they? It doesn’t have to be about money, food? exercise?
Interested in participating in the Monday thru Friday NO SPEND challenge next week and report back on this post? It’s only FIVE days!
Where do you usually
waste spend most of your money during the week? What are your NVA expenses?
Please pin me:)